BOOK REVIEW (Junior)
Author: Lauren Weisberger
ISBN: 0007241917
Publisher: HarperCollins UK
Date of Publication: 2006/06/05
Nubmer of pages: 400
Brief overview of the contents/Plot summary:
A sharp, witty and hugely entertaining debut novel, ”The Devil Wears Prada” is ”The Nanny Diaries” set in the world of high fashion. Welcome to the dollhouse, baby! When Andrea first sets foot in the plush Manhattan offices of Runway she knows nothing. She’s never heard of the world’s most fashionable magazine, or its feared and fawned-over editor, Miranda Priestly. But she’s going to be Miranda’s assistant, a job millions of girls would die for. A year later, she knows altogether too much: That it’s a sacking offence to wear anything lower than a three-inch heel to work. But that there’s always a fresh pair of Manolos for you in the accessories cupboard. That Miranda believes Hermes scarves are disposable, and you must keep a life-time supply on hand at all times. That eight stone is fat. That you can charge cars, manicures, anything at all to the Runway account, but you must never, ever, leave your desk, or let Miranda’s coffee get cold. And that at 3 a.m. on a Sunday, when your boyfriend’s dumping you because you’re always at work, and your best friend’s just been arrested, if Miranda phones, you jump. Most of all, Andrea knows that Miranda is a monster who makes Cruella de Vil look like a fluffy bunny. But also that this is her big break, and it’s going to be worth it in the end. Isn’t it?
Your reaction and evaluation:
I’ve seen this movie several times before. At first, I couldn’t understand the whole story. But after I saw the movie again and again, I found I love this movie including plot, music and actresses.
And I have to say, the most thing in the movie that I interested in is about fashion. I do love beautiful clothes, high heels and so on. Anything about fashion I care and love it. Besides, I do believe a good magazine can change someone’s life.
Just like conversations between Andy and Nigel “Don't you know that you are working at the place that published some of the greatest artists of the century? Halston, Lagerfeld, de la Renta. And what they did, what they created was greater than art because you live your life in it. Well, not you, obviously, but some people. You think this is just a magazine, hmm? This is not just a magazine. This is a shining beacon of hope for... oh, I don't know...”
And people generally believe that physically attractive people have other desirable characteristics such as intelligence, competence, confidence, and morality. So I don’t understand why it's so strange for those people who want to become charming. I think it’s absolutely legal and right.
About Andy, I think she is a smart girl and learns very fast. What she usually said is “I didn't have a choice.” Someone heard that must think it was an excuse. But I don’t think so. I think if she wants to become better, she does have no choice unless she quits or let Miranda goes to fire her.
As a old saying goes, “You cannot sell the cow and drink the milk.” If you want to do well on your job, does it mean your personal life will in a mass? I’m sorry to say “Yes, probably.” Like Miranda said: “No, no, you chose. You chose to get ahead. You want this life. Those choices are necessary.” But I think the most important question is “What do you want?” Like Andy said: “But what if this isn't what I want? I mean what if I don't wanna live the way you live?” “Oh, don't be ridiculous. Andrea. Everybody wants this. Everybody wants to be us.” Miranda said.
You cannot sell the cow and drink the milk. If you want something, you must give up something . Like Miranda said:” You chose to get ahead. You want this life. Those choices are necessary.” So “What do you want?” do you really know what you want? If yes, then go and don’t lost yourself!
沒有留言:
張貼留言